Edison High's Tyler Warren breaks tackles for a big gain against Los Alamitos.

Edison High's Tyler Warren breaks tackles for a big gain against Los Alamitos. (Don Leach / HB Independent / October 25, 2013)

  • Related
  • Photo Gallery: Edison-Los Al Football Photo Gallery: Edison-Los Al Football
  • Mike Sciacca Signature

  • Topics
  • Football
  • California Interscholastic Federation

In forging a three-game winning streak over the past three weeks, the Edison High football team took care of the football.

Thursday night at Huntington Beach High's Cap Sheue Field, the Chargers couldn't hang on to the pigskin, and it cost them an important Sunset League game.

And, the final result sent the league race into a wide-open affair.

In a low-scoring slugfest between two teams ranked in the CIF Southern Section Southwest Division, fifth-ranked Los Alamitos climbed back into the league title chase by squeezing out a 16-10 victory, knocking second-ranked Edison out of first place in the process.

In another close battle between the schools, a series that was tied, 5-5, in the 10 meetings prior to Thursday's game, Los Alamitos (7-1, 2-1 in league) found a way to win. Edison (5-3, 2-1) was more productive offensively in the first half, although neither team scored much, and the Griffins benefited from untimely mistakes by the Chargers.

Edison threw two interceptions, had a punt blocked, and fumbled on a punt return late in the game down six points.

"Offensively we didn't play well, our punt team was terrible, and we made some bad decisions tonight," Edison Coach Dave White said. "We had opportunities to win this game, but we didn't move the ball. We turned the ball over just as we had done earlier in the year, in losses to Servite and Mater Dei."

Thursday's outcome left Fountain Valley as the only remaining undefeated team in Sunset League play. The 2-0 Barons play Friday at Newport Harbor. The Sailors are 1-1 in league, having defeated Los Alamitos and losing to Edison the past two weeks.

Yes, the Sunset race just took on a new twist.

"It's a tough league," said White who earlier in the year predicted that the eventual Sunset League champion wouldn't go 5-0 en route to the title.

A strange first half ended with Los Alamitos holding a 7-3 lead despite its offense earning only one first down, and a second one, by virtue of a penalty. The one by penalty was big, as it put the Griffins first-and-goal at the Edison two-yard line midway through the second quarter. Two plays later, a touchdown run by Mike Hayden gave the Griffins their first lead at 7-3.

The scoring drive was set up by a fumble recovery by defensive back Sam Corder-Lee at the Edison 43. On the next play, quarterback Nick Wendell threw a pass inside the 10 that receiver Demonte King went high to grab at the Edison four. The pass play was the initial first down of the half for the Griffins.

Edison's defense, however, stiffened and appeared to have held the Griffins on two running plays and an incomplete pass. A third-down pass by Wendell to the corner of the end zone went beyond the end line and out of bounds, but Edison defensive back Kiante Goudeau was called for pass interference.

With the ball placed at the two for a new set of downs, Hayden took a quick handoff on second down into the end zone from a yard out with 4:49 remaining in the half.

Following Hayden's touchdown run, Edison went from its own 20 down to the Los Alamitos 21 but an intentional grounding call against quarterback Christian Heffelman, moved the ball back, and Hunter Kelley was just short on a 56-yard field-goal attempt with 32 seconds left in the half.

Edison had taken a 3-0 lead late in the first quarter on a 34-yard field goal by Kelley. The Chargers' started their scoring drive, set up by an interception by defensive back Josh Gruwell, at the Los Alamitos 41, and moved down to the 14 before the drive stalled.

The Griffins went three-and-out on all three of their first-quarter possessions, and four of six in the opening half, yet still managed a four-point advantage at intermission. They had a chance to increase their lead early in the second half when cornerback Derrick Worthy stepped in front of Edison receiver Jake Favreau to make an interception at the Edison 42. Worthy returned the ball to the 22 where he was dragged down on the third play of the third quarter.

Again, Edison's defense held, and the Chargers dodged a bullet when Brett Mathis was wide right on a 32-yard field-goal attempt.

Penalties hurt Edison on its ensuing possession, and Kelley was forced to punt from his own end zone. Starting from the Edison 39, the Griffins, who converted a pair of fourth-down plays to keep the drive alive, moved down to the five but were held to a 22-yard field goal by Mathis for a 10-3 lead with 4:23 left in the third quarter.

The Chargers came right back to tie the score.