The Huntington Beach Fire Department responded to a chemical reaction at a paint manufacturing business Wednesday after two chemicals were unintentionally mixed, authorities said.
Firefighters monitored the venting of the mixture in the 15000 block of Commerce Lane at about 4 p.m. and evacuated the surrounding businesses as a precaution, fire Capt. Bob Culhane said.
Reverse 911 calls were also made to residents in the surrounding neighborhood to either stay away from the area or shut any outside ventilation, according to a fire department press statement.
It took about five hours for the unintended concoction to cool down, which left behind a large block of resin.
Authorities identified the two chemicals as an expoxy resin and triethylamine, which when combined produced heat, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide.
The 80-gallon container where the substances were "mixed in error," Culhane said, was taken outside. There was no way to stop the reaction, so the fire crew monitored the situation and allowed it to "run its course," according to the statement.
No injuries were reported.
— Anthony Clark Carpio